Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chicago Restaurant Week - David Burke's Prime House





It's restaurant week in Chicago! And because this only happens once a year, I have to take full advantage. Several restaurants in Chicago participate in this wildly popular - one week - Chicago event. You can get a prix fixe, $22, 3-course lunch or a $32, prix fixe dinner. While still pricey, it's much cheaper than if you were to go there any other time and eat three courses. My favorite spot this year was David Burke's Prime House. It's located in the James hotel on Rush and Ontario.

I started with the surf and turf dumplings and the Kobe Beef Sashimi. Both were excellent. The dumplings had a lot of flavor. On the left are the lobster dumplings and on the right are braised short rib dumplings with a balsamic reduction. The only negative was that the wrapper of the dumplings were somewhat dense and bland. You could tell they weren't fresh, unfortunately. The Kobe Beef Sashimi was perfection achieved in six bites. It was served on a Himilayan salt block and was seasoned perfectly. It was served with black truffle mayonaise, mini-toasts, and mushroom chips. I could have eaten this as an entree.


My entree was the 40 day, dry aged "burker." It had sauteed spinach and bacon mayonaise on it with fried shallots. I think there's a limit to how good a burger can be, but it definitely was one of the better burgers I've eaten. The asiago and truffle fries were quite tasty as well and very fresh. I would have expected home-made ketchup to go with such tasty fries, but no such luck. Heinz 57 would have to do. Not much else to say here. It was a burger.


For dessert I got to try the "slice of prime" and "the king." The slice of prime was basically a s'more in cake-form. Tasty, but very rich. Great for chocolate lovers! The King however, was creative and tasty. It was banana-bread topped with ice cream with bacon brittle. The banana-bread was superb and very comforting. But the bacon brittle was something special. You could definitely taste the bacon in the brittle, but it wasn't a bad combination of sweet and savory. If you like the Vosages bacon bar, you would like this brittle.


So ends my journey to Prime House...it's safe to say I would go back, but next time, I'll get a steak.

1 comment: